Buying Your Dream Home? Start Here First!
Moving to the Pacific Northwest? Planning for retirement? Have a growing family?
Make your next home your dream home.
Let’s take a look at what you should think about when planning to buy your dream home.
One of the best and most unique features of the Portland area—and the Pacific Northwest in general—is the variety of locations to call home in such a relatively small geographic area. Whether you love city life, the mountains, the ocean, or anything in between, you can find it here.
Let’s look at a few of the most popular locations for homebuyers in Oregon:
- Oregon Coast: Small-town living with gorgeous ocean views, often a few hours (or less) from Portland. My current favorite is the Long Beach Peninsula right across the Astoria bridge: You can drive on the beach!
- Columbia River Gorge: An outdoor enthusiast’s dream or perfect if you’ve been wanting to plant your own vineyard and grow grapes. Whether you’re looking on the Oregon or Washington side of the river, there are stunning views to be found of the Columbia River and the surrounding mountains, including Mt. Adams and Mt. Hood. I have my own piece of this dream right on the Columbia.
- Portland Metro Area: Enjoy nights at the Arlene Schnitzer Hall with high style entertainment and walk to fine dining and shops. Homebuyers of all ages appreciate the convenience of living in or near downtown Portland. My short commute to work is wonderful!
- Mt. Hood: Skiing, hiking, and clean mountain air—what could be better? Find your dream home near Mt. Hood and you’ll still be less than 2 hours from Portland.
- Willamette Valley: Looking for land? There’s acreage for days in the Willamette Valley. Surrounded by wineries and vineyards, the views are divine. Find a home with land that fits your lifestyle and your dreams.
But your dream home is so much more than just location, size, and layout.
When you close your eyes and imagine your dream home, what do you see? Acres of space? A huge restaurant-quality kitchen? A covered outdoor kitchen with fireplace? Epic views of the Columbia River Gorge or Mt. Hood? Sparkling city lights at night? Easy access to fine dining and the shopping and nightlife of downtown Portland?
Your dream home is just as unique as you are. Start searching for your dream home now. Don’t see what you’re looking for? Talk to an experienced broker at HOAG REAL ESTATE today! We specialize in one of a kind architecturally significant properties with the extra-special touches demanded by discerning homebuyers looking in the Pacific Northwest:
Napa doesn’t have the appeal that it used to. Modern wine enthusiasts, retirees, and vintners are heading north to wine country in Oregon and Washington, particularly the spectacular Willamette and Columbia Valleys.
A working vineyard property can be an incredible investment. These properties feature lots of acreage in our in-demand areas, as well as multiple rental and income opportunities.
Are you interested in owning a vineyard? It’s not just about winemaking. In addition, vineyard properties offer secluded private residences in beautiful landscapes and much more. Our vineyard properties are one-of-a-kind. See for yourself.
People who don’t have a passion for horses don’t get it. But if you love horses and the equestrian lifestyle, you absolutely need to see the equestrian dream homes for sale in the Pacific Northwest. These truly unique properties feature:
- Plenty of acreage for riding and roaming
- Barns, corrals, stables, and other buildings
- Quiet, peaceful land for you and your horses
This is luxury country living at its best!
Don’t make these mistakes!
- Buying without a realtor: A skilled realtor, like those at HOAG REAL ESTATE, is your advocate and partner throughout the home buying experience. Even if this isn’t your first home purchase, don’t go it alone.
- Overcommitting: Get excited, but don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Falling in love with a property can lead to getting caught up in a bidding war or making a decision based on emotion instead of logic.
- Compromising: At the same time, we’re talking about your dream home here. Don’t settle! The home you buy should be one that ticks all the boxes of your “must-haves.”
None of us know for sure what tomorrow might hold. But when buying your dream home, don’t forget to consider how changes in your life may affect what you need from your house. If you’ve got a growing family, make sure you’ve got room to grow! If you’re planning for retirement and your golden years, consider accessibility and thriving-in-place features like:
- Mainfloor living space
- Lower countertops
- Aesthetically pleasing handrails
- Plenty of lighting
- Step out level deck or yard
- Low maintenance yard
Remember that many thriving-in-place features can be added after the fact through a home renovation or remodel. However, the less work that needs to be done on your home, the sooner it’ll feel like the home you were destined to live in.
Questions to ask yourself
- “Should I remodel or buy as-is?”
When you find a home that’s nearly perfect, you might want to consider remodeling, renovating, or adding on to your new property. Get info about these options before you buy.
- “Is now a good time to buy?”
Oregon’s population is booming and the real estate market can’t keep up with the demand. If you find a property you love, don’t delay!
- “What will the area look like 5, 10, or 20 years from now?”
Will new construction change your view? Will new neighbors change the vibe of your neighborhood? During the buying process ask questions like this to get a sense of what the future may hold for your dream home.
Talk to a Broker at HOAG REAL ESTATE!
Are you planning to buy your dream home in the Pacific Northwest? When you work with HOAG REAL ESTATE, you’re in good hands and you’ll have fun! Give us a call to get to know our experienced brokers who have decades of experience and have helped thousands of home buyers and sellers in the Portland area since 1991!